Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Prologue

Molweni!
   That's Xhosa for hello!  Tomorrow, a group of elementary school teachers and myself will be travelling to South Africa to stay for a month.  We're from a school that prides itself on globalization, and our travels will help us to expand our knowledge of South African culture, history, and literacy.  (This opportunity has been presented by UNCW's SACHL Project scholarship.  Thank-you UNCW!!) Our month will be spent teaching and observing South African students of all ages, and learning about the students and their way of life.  We'll also get to visit a few South African cities, go on safari, and collaborate with Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University faculty.  I'm excited about the trip! I am hoping to bring back amazing, authentic African artifacts for my classroom and am looking forward to seeing the similarities and differences between children here and in South Africa. I'm looking forward to telling my future students that they share certain traits or games with children on the other side of the world! I will also use the information from this trip to create online lesson plans and ideas for other teachers' use. How wonderful that I can travel and experience this first hand, then share with others!

No comments:

Post a Comment