Sunday, July 24, 2016

Emafini at Last!

Since my journey to  South Africa began, I have been anticipating coming to Emafini
Primary School. I finally arrived! We were greeted with a warm hug and a host of 4-6th grade teachers.
Surprise! I was placed with a 6th grade social studies teacher, Bomela.  She was an incredible, dedicated teacher working with classes with 40+ learners.  Never again will I complain about class size! They might have been squished in there, but they were amazing kids.
 I loved being in there and working with them,  They were discussing Nelson Mandela and citizens' rights to vote - how cool is that?! Bomela was proud to show me her lesson plans and the workbook she uses, with all the dreaded, thought provoking discussion questions I remember using when I was young! She even wrote a summary of the lesson on the chalkboard for the kids to copy - in English! They are fluent in Xhosa, but are doing a pretty good job learning English.

When we were done for the day and waiting for our taxi/van, I had some time to just take pictures of the students as they were on their lunch break.  They either hammed it up or squealed and ran the other way.  It just goes to show that kids are kids, not matter where you are in the world!

These young ladies were on their way to the library.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment