Thursday, August 18, 2016

Salani Kakuhle, South Africa!

Is it that time already? My time in South Africa has come to an end.  How do you say good bye to a place where you've invested time and love, and received memories that will last a lifetime?
I must thank UNCW for their SACHL Project/ Fulbright-Hayes scholarship. Without the partnership between UNCW and CFIE, this trip would not have been possible.  
CFIE and UNCW educators, and women from the Institute of the Blind
Now, I have an incredible insight into the culture of the South African people.  These experiences will allow me to share that culture with others; educators and students, family and friends, and anyone else who is willing to listen!
I'm excited to create and implement lesson plans for my students - the challenge to see if I can replicate the South African culture in my US classroom.  I've learned about a few of the tribes -mainly Zulu and Xhosa, to include their history, language, and culture.  Especially their culture!
A typical township neighborhood
Knowing the hardships many have endured, mostly due to the lasting effects of Apartheid.  I have seen the repercussions of that on today's South African learners and how they still live in townships dominated by poverty and a government that is slow to come to the aid of so many families. South Africa needs help, not just with monetary, physical items in peoples' homes, but with a higher level of education.  All the issues from updated school buildings, smaller classroom sizes, better educated teachers, modern technology, sanitary conditions, more books and school supplies. There is much to be done.  In the meantime, I applaud the teachers and principals for their strength, perseverance, spirit, and most importantly, their love for their learners.
South Africa is a beautiful place with beautiful people. But their struggle is real. If I ever return, I hope I can see improvements in the way children learn. As Nelson Mandela said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

Thank you South Africa, for opening my eyes and helping me see the world on a larger scale and to appreciate the similarities and the differences in people far from home.
Salani kakuhle!

No comments:

Post a Comment